Click here to download general assembly instructions.
SAFENCE cable barrier is installed according to SRB construction drawing but its flexible features make SAFENCE adaptable to follow reality rather than drawing. SAFENCE is available in a wide range of systems including system specific assembly details. Number of cables, post profile, post footing, smaller assembly details and cable tension all depend on the specific SAFENCE system. Always consult SRB construction drawing and do not hesitate to contact Blue Systems if questions arise.
- SAFENCE wire rope safety fence is to follow the contours and line of the road without any visible horizontal or vertical deviations.
- SAFENCE is to be anchored properly at each end by a dead weight to ensure its function. A steel end anchor is buried into the ground using the existing masses as dead weight or a precast or cast in place concrete anchor is installed.
- Post spacing is subject to required containment level and performance.
- Line posts might be direct driven into the ground or installed in on of our post footing alternatives. In order to allow for traffic redirection passing over the barrier and also to ensure easy maintenance it is highly recommended to install median and side barriers in footings. Slope barriers however, is recommended to be installed driven into ground due to its less frequent need for repair.
- SAFENCE post footing is adopted to current situation;
- Steel sleeve when installing in carriageway/asphalt when a hole is possible to be made straight through the carriageway.
- Concrete footing when installing road side support strip when a hole is possible to be made straight through the support strip.
- Paving embedded bridge base plate is installed in road paving when a hole is not allowed.
- Concrete embedded bridge base plate in anchored in the longitudinal concrete beam. Bolts plate is casted into the concrete beam and post base plate is fitted to embedded bolts.
- Install posts in footings or holes and adjust deviations in height and side with a rubber hammer or small gravel.
- Fit reflectors and other details that is to be installed below cables. In Sweden it is governed that a road barrier shall be fitted with dipped-beam refelctors at approximately 40-60 cm above ground at a maximum of 50 m apart on roads allowing for 80 km/h or more.
- Cable isntallation is always conducted from an end anchor. Check ropes are fitted and cable fittings are swaged and hooked onto end anchor. During the installation face it is highly recommended to secure cables to end anchor by any kind of axis available, possibly a rebar or similar, to secure cables from coming of while pulling the cable forward.
- Typical installation include a "tension bay" (a rigging screw and two wire fittings) at approximately 150 m from each end anchor and at an approximate 300 m spacing.
- To allow for easiest possible installation it is essential to keep the cables as tensioned as possible throughout the installation by minimizing the slack.
- Assembly details are fitted as cables are installed.
Tension bay (2 x fittings + rigging screw)
- At second anchor the cable is cut just short of the end anchor giving the perfect length after fitting is swaged. Pull the cable to eliminate any slack.
- Assebly details are fitted as cables are installed and our blue cap is always fitted on the top of the post.
- SAFENCE top reflector replaces the blue cap if reflector is specified and will eliminate the need of a side delineator post. In Sweden these refelectors are installed every 50-100 m or sometimes at 25 m in specific situations.
Cable tension & finishing
- Cables are tensioned according to temperature dependant tensioning table.
- Blue Systems provide hydraulic equipment for cable installation and tensioning but we do not demand the use of our tools - however, we do demand installation finish according to our specifications.
- At request, we provide tensioning and check reports for documented installation.
- After finishing, the barrier should follow the contours of the road and look smart. Posts are fitted with our blue cap and all reflectors according to contract. A European CE certified system is finalised by the fitting of a CE sign.